Wow, Thursday was a busy day in Hockeyland. Let’s try to quickly hit on all sorts of points.
- Thursday in Peoyongchang, the USA Women’s hockey team won Olympic gold for the first time in 20 years. As it was a game after I had written the previous MFA, I couldn’t comment on the hard fought win. So proud of our women’s team!
- The Bruins released information on Anders Bjork, including the nature and treatment of his injury. Turns out that he had a procedure to clean up some tissue in his shoulder. Well that, and a torn labrum. His recovery time is slated at six months. He should be ready for camp but he’s done for the season. Speedy recovery, Anderson!
- Trade alert: Frank Vatrano was traded to the Florida Panthers for a 2018 third-round draft pick. It just didn’t work out for him here after his injury last season. I hope he can find his game again in the Sunshine State. This was the second trade made by Don Sweeney this week as he traded defensive prospect Rob O’Gara and a third to the NY Rangers for left-shooting defenseman Nick Holden.
- David Pastrnak shared this gem of a picture of his family.
- Zdeno Chara says you should tell your mom you love her.
Mom. Such a simple and soft word and yet so powerful. Probably the most common word on every continent for every person and nation to understand. Probably the first spoken word from an innocent human. The bond of attachment between a mother and child lays the groundwork for everything in life. The sacrifices moms make are unlimited, their love unmatchable. We share the happiest moment of her life, our first relationship, our first breath. We may outgrow their lap but never their love. As we get older and stronger we seem to hide the sensitivity and attachment we used to have. But at the end of the day we always come to them. I love you mom and thank you, without you I wouldn’t be who I am. We don’t need to wait for mother’s day. This world needs more love and I believe in contributing as an individual. Our time is limited and we shouldn’t wait to do or say the right things. Every day we have great power. (Thanks to our moms.) #thepowerofone —————————————————————— Mama. Jemne a jednoduche slovo s velkou silou. Mozno slovo ktore najviac spaja vsetky kontinenty a rozumie mu kazdy narod. Mozno prve slovo, ktore nevinna ludska bytost vyslovi. Puto medzi matkou a dietatom polozi zaklad pre vsetko ostatne v zivote. Obety matky su bez hranic a ich laska nenapodobitelna. Zdielame s nou jej najstastnejsi moment, nas prvy dych, prvy vztah. Mozeme ju prerast no nikdy neprerastieme jej lasku. S pribudajucim vekom a silou akoby sme zacali skryvat nasu citlivost. No na konci vsetkeho sa k nej aj tak vzdy vraciame. Lubim Ta mami a dakujem Ti, bez Teba by som nebol kym som. Nie je treba cakat na den matiek. Tento svet potrebuje viac lasky a citim ze mozem prispiet ako jednotlivec. Nas cas je obmedzeny a nemali by sme vahat povedat alebo urobit tie spravne veci. Kazdy den mame obrovsku silu, silu jednotlivca. (Vdaka nasim mamam.)
- NY Rangers Rick Nash and Michael Grabner look to be on the move and were healthy scratches last night. Rumor had it that Nash was heading to the airport but it was not confirmed.
Neither Rick Nash nor Michael Grabner will play for #NYR tonight. Team closing in deals, so right now, this is just precautionary. Lettieri and Carey will be in.
— Brett Cyrgalis (@BrettCyrgalis) February 22, 2018
- It’s glorious day to hate the Habs! Montreal is shutting down defenseman Shea Weber for the season as he has surgery to repair torn ligaments in his foot This was just a day after they traded Jakub Jerabek for a fifth round pick in 2019.
- Finally, the Florida Panthers had a moment of silence and honored the victims of the Stoneman Douglas High School shooting in Parkland, Florida.
Alyssa Alhadeff. Scott Beigel. Martin Duque. Nicholas Dworet. Aaron Feis. Jaime Guttenberg. Chris Hixon. Luke Hoyer. Cara Loughran. Gina Montalto. Joaquin Oliver. Alaina Petty. Meadow Pollack. Helena Ramsay. Alex Schachter. Carmen Schentrup. Peter Wang.
17 names. Never forget. pic.twitter.com/xaY5GGbimn
— NHL (@NHL) February 23, 2018
Longtime Parkland resident and Florida Panthers goalie Roberto Luongo gave an emotional and stirring speech to those in attendance.
“You guys are an inspiration to all of us. At the end of the day, you guys are what’s giving us hope for the future.”
– Roberto Luongo to the students of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. pic.twitter.com/P63aP0fslC
— NHL (@NHL) February 23, 2018