While preparing for the two day draft event, Don Sweeney took some time to speak with Boston Bruins media via Zoom. During tonight and tomorrow’s draft, the Bruins have picks in all but the first and fourth rounds; this year’s first was dealt to Anaheim to assist in unloading most of David Backes’ contract and to bring back winger Ondrej Kase. Anyway, Sweeney doesn’t anticipate making any moves into the first round since he described this action as being “expensive” this time of year.
After the draft, the buyout period officially ends on Thursday October 8th, a day before free agency begins at 12pm, October 9th. All of this makes it a busy time of year for GMs like Sweeney.
In his conversation with the media he touched upon many things regarding the team. I’ll try to give a brief summary.
- Sweeney stated that Tuukka is still an important part of this team going forward. He cited that Tuukka had finished second in Vezina voting, he has confidence in him, and is very “comfortable” with their goaltending situation.
- He’s had talks with Chara and his agent. The talks have been broad and he expects them to continue
- Basically, things are about the same as they have been. At this time, no team has traded for his rights and he expects that Torey will test free agency. Sweeney apparently mentioned that sometimes players see what’s offered and still return to the team and that maybe that could happen.
- Sweeney alluded to some players on the roster as being untouchable. He didn’t name anyone but one could imagine who he would be talking about: the entire top line, Charlie McAvoy, Charlie Coyle, and most likely (at this point) David Krejci.
- Joakim Nordstrom is not going to be offered a new contract. Sweeney said it would be a “challenge” to re-sign him at this point. While he was a handy fourth liner, he is taking up a spot that other younger players should make out of camp.
- Brett Ritchie, aka The First Ritchie, will not be qualified turning his status from RFA to UFA.
- Brendan Gaunce, who played one game for the Boston club, will also not be offered a qualifying offer.
Curiously enough, Sweeney didn’t speak about Kevan Miller and his status. Earlier in the year he had entertained offering him a contract. That was before Miller had another setback. I imagine that he will not be back with the team.
I feel bad for Miller. He was really coming into his own… skating well, moving the puck some, before the knee thing. Plus, the guy has worked and rehabbed so hard. I’d like to see him play again, as unlikely as that seems.
Morning all. We have a new app system for work which started this week so of course it’s not working for me! D’oh!
I keep forgetting about Kevan Miller.
Whenever I see the words ‘new’, ‘system’ and ‘work’ together now I cringe.
When they develop these things it never seems to occur to them to consult the people who are actaully going to have to use them!
“It’s a suite of applications! The whole company is required to use it starting on Monday.”
“Please refer to the attached 85 pages of instructions on how to download all necessary applications to your laptop, smartphone, tablet, etch a sketch, easel, abacus, brain chip, and coloring book as well as the 539 step MFA set up for all platforms.”
Well that sounds positive about Tuukka. I trust Sweenius to do the right thing.
Had a trip to the vets this morning. No, not for me, for the budgies. There were a couple of things we weren’t too sure about so we wanted to get them checked over. Also we should have quarantined them before we put them together but we didn’t think of that at the time ….
Anyway, they are fine and healthy so that’s all good. They spend a lot of time preening themselves and putting their feathers straight. This week they have started to preen each other, and it’s super cute.
We need to see these lil cuties! Saturday?
Haha – that would be waaaay after their bedtime!
Do they sleep in the “cone of silence” (black-out cover draped over the cage)?
We tried that the first week, but it seemed to upset him. He would wake up in a panic and crash around the cage. When we stopped using it he still had has his night terrors but only about once a week.
Since we got the second bird it hasn’t happened at all! They sleep in Leah’s room which is pretty dark anyway, although we might look at covering the cage when summer comes around.
Awww, that sounds adorable.
Closing day for Jo’s house!!! Show me the money!!! Time to move forward on our place!!!
Hockey…. I hope this is a short off season!!!
Sweenius sounds like he’s on top of things. Get to work, Donny!!
Woohoo! Hope it all continues to go smoothly.
Yay for closing!!
I did see a rumor that players are being told to prepare for training camp to start in November sometime. And if it’s on the internet is must be true! And my brain kept wanting to call it Spring Training.
Make that closing happen!
Second prize are these lovely steak knives: